How do I record a video for the Dear Me – NH campaign?
Here are some tips for recording your Dear Me: I’m Ready letter:
- Length: Keep it concise. Aim for less than two minutes.
Clothes and surroundings: Aim for simple. Don’t have distracting images or writing on your clothes or items in your background.
- Lighting: Position yourself so your light source is in front of you. Natural light from a window works great.
- Camera position: If you are recording on your phone, film your video vertically (portrait), not horizontally (landscape). If you are using a laptop or computer, try to make sure your whole head and shoulders are visible and you are close enough to fill most of the screen from top to bottom.
- Limit background noise: Record your video in a quiet place. Indoors is likely better than outdoors.
- Avoid using stickers, text, and other features in your video.
What should I say in my video?
Your letter could be from the perspective of wanting to quit, or from already having quit. You can inspire others by talking about:
- What is (or was) your biggest reason to quit?
- What you could gain or do if you quit (or what have you gained by quitting)?
- What led you to start using tobacco (smoking, chewing, or vaping)?
- What made you realize it was time to stop?
- How has tobacco impacted your life?
If you’d like to encourage others, you could add a tried-and-true motivational message to the end of your letter for others to hear, like:
- “Quitting is hard, but you can do it.”
- “There is help available if you’re thinking about quitting smoking. Go to DearMeNH.org.”
- “Write your own Dear Me: I’m Ready letter and share your reasons to quit.”
- “I’m ready to quit tobacco.”
- “Dear Me: I’m ready to quit.”
- “Tell your own story on DearMeNH.org today for a chance to win a gift card.