Remember – If you are planning on becoming pregnant try to quit before you get pregnant. Smoking can damage the baby at any time during your pregnancy.
Quitting when you are pregnant is one of the best things you can do for your baby’s health.
Never smoke around your new baby. Ask other people to go outside to smoke when they are around you when you are pregnant and the baby after it is born. Learn more about second hand smoke and your new baby.
QuitNow-NH is dedicated to helping moms quit tobacco.
Your feelings, your friends, your partner and your connections. Quitting smoking isn’t any easier if you’re pregnant. And, when you’re pregnant, your relationship with your partner may go through changes, including how you relate to each other about smoking. Visit Smokefree Women for information and help on quitting and dealing with other people during pregnancy.
How Can Smoking Harm You and Your Baby?
- Your baby may be born too small, even after a full-term pregnancy. Smoking slows your baby’s growth before birth.
- Your baby may be born too early (premature birth). Premature babies often have health problems.5
- Smoking can damage your baby’s developing lungs and brain. The damage can last through childhood and into the teen years.4
- Smoking doubles your risk of bleeding too much during pregnancy and delivery. This can put both you and your baby in danger.5,6
- Smoking raises your baby’s risk for birth defects, including cleft lip, cleft palate, or both. Your baby’s mouth is malformed and he or she can have trouble eating properly and may need surgery.1,4
- Babies of moms who smoke during pregnancy—and babies exposed to cigarette smoke after birth—have a higher risk for SIDS.5
For more information on smoking, pregnancy and babies visit CDC http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/diseases/pregnancy.html
www.Text4Baby.org : Get FREE messages each week on your cell phone to help you through your pregnancy and your baby’s first year. Text4baby is an educational program of the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition.